COVAXIN™, India’s indigenous COVID-19 vaccine by Bharat Biotech is developed in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) -National Institute of Virology (NIV). The indigenous, inactivated vaccine is developed and manufactured in Bharat Biotech’s BSL-3 (Bio-Safety Level 3) high containment facility. The vaccine received DCGI approval in July 2020 for Phase I & II Human Clinical Trials and the trials have commenced across India. Healthy volunteers aged between 18 and 55 years having no comorbid conditions or COVID-19 history would be eligible to participate in the clinical trials. The prospective volunteers will be screened and their health conditions will be thoroughly evaluated before administering them the vaccine. The trial centres will also conduct physical and laboratory tests, in accordance with the ICMR protocol, and counsel the volunteers who meet all criteria about the possible risks and obtain their consent before initiating the process. They will be given two doses within a gap of 14 days. The trial will be conducted at 12 centres across India. The centers are:
1) All India Institute of Medical SciencesDelhi.
2) All India Institute of Medical Sciences Patna, Bihar.
3) Prakhar Hospital Pvt Ltd, Kanpur Nagar, Uttar Pradesh.
4) Gillukar Multispeciality Hospital–Nagpur, Maharashtra.
5) Institute of Medical Sciences and SUM Hospital-Jajapur, Orissa.
6) Jeevan Rekha Hospital -Belgaum, Karnataka.
7) King George Hospital –Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
8)Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences –Hyderabad, Telangana.
9) PGIMS –Rohtak, Harayana.
10) Rana Hospital and Trauma Centre –Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
11) Redkar Hospital and Research Centre –North Goa, Goa.
12) SRM Hospital and Research Centre –Kancheepuram, Chennai.